India is fast becoming a medical hub as it has managed to introduce modern medical science, advanced technology, sophisticated medical equipment and the like. Moreover, the qualified doctors and specialists here do offer top quality medical and surgical assistance to those patients coming from far and wide. One such treatment provided is ASD. As a matter of fact, ASD Closure Cost in India is quite low, making it possible to lead a debt-free and disease-free life.
It stands for Atrial Septal Defect and is considered to be a hole within the wall between the heart’s two chambers. This condition exists right from congenital (birth). The smaller defects are found to close on its own during early childhood or at an infancy stage.
The long-standing and large atrial septal defects might damage the lungs and the heart. If atrial septal defect lies undetected in the adult for decades, then it is likely to shorten the life span of the person resulting in heart failure or causing high blood pressure within the lungs. Usually, the remedy offered by the leading doctors in the domain is to have the ASD to be repaired, so as to avoid unnecessary complications.
There are many babies who are found to suffer from ASD issues right from their birth but still do not show any symptoms or signs of the same. In adults, the symptoms or signs might not take show up until the person turns 30+. It is during a routine check-up that the doctor might come across the issue when listening to the heart by using a general stethoscope. If the heart is found to murmur, then it can be the signal of a hole present in the heart. Often, ASD also is identified if there is carried out an echocardiogram (ultrasound evaluation) on the heart for other reasons.
Few signs & symptoms of long-standing or large ASD issues might include the following:
- Shortness of breath
- Skipped beats or heart palpitations
- Swelling of abdomen, feet or legs
Know the causes
Heart defects that exist during birth (congenital) might arise due to errors experienced during the early stages of the heart’s development in the child. However, there might also be no clear cause to identify. Environmental and genetic factors also might play a significant role in its development.
There are many families who may face congenital heart defects in their genetics like the Down syndrome. In case, the child has a heart defect or the person is detected with heart defect then the approximate odds which future children might have of developing one can be predicted clearly by the genetic counselor.
During pregnancy, if any of the given below conditions are experienced by the expectant mother, there may be increased chances of the baby developing a heart defect:
- Poorly controlled diabetes: If the mother-to-be suffers from uncontrolled diabetes, then it is likely to affect the blood sugar of the fetus, thereby causing damage to developing a fetus in the womb.
- Rubella infection: Getting infected with German measles (Rubella) when pregnant is likely to increase risks of contracting fetal heart defects. Rubella is known to cross the placenta, to spread across the circulatory system of the fetus, thereby damaging several organs and the blood vessels, including the heart.
A good number of doctors recommend repairing the ASD defect which is diagnosed at the time of childhood. This is to avoid future complications as the child grows into an adult. For children and adults, the surgical remedy involves patching or plugging of an abnormal opening between atria.
This can be achieved by doctors through two methods, namely:
- Open heart surgery: General anesthesia is given to the patient and requires heart-lung equipment. An incision is made in the chest, while stitches or patches are used to close the developed hole in the heart.
- Cardiac catheterization: There is inserted a thin tube known as a catheter within the blood vessel in the groin region and guided to the heart. A plug or mesh patch is placed through the catheter to close the hole. Heart tissue develops around the mesh, thereby sealing the hole permanently.
With ASD Closure Cost in India, people suffering from a hole in the heart can now take a respite and prolong their life and happiness.